Police Hunt for Grandson Suspected of Killing 75 Year Old Grandmother


Rukiga police have launched a hunt for a grandson suspected of killing his 75-year-old grandmother for yet to be established reasons.

Serebiano Bakine, who was a resident of Kabirizi village, Kitojo parish, in Mwamucucu subcountry, was found dead in her bedroom while the grandson she was staying with was nowhere to be seen.

Bakine’s death being investigated on Criminal Reference Book –CRB 324/2021 was first detected by a neighbour identified as Agnes. According to Kigezi regional spokesperson, Elly Mate, the neighbour called Bakine but there was no response.

“She was discovered dead from her bed in her house this morning by a neighbor one Agnes who usually checks on her. It’s alleged that when Agnes went and called, she could not respond which forced her to enter inside since the door was wide open,” Mate said.

Upon entering Bakine’s house, Agnes noticed that everything inside had been scattered. It was visible that some stuff was missing which made Agnes suspicious. Expecting horror, Agnes called other neighbors and upon on checking they Bakine’s lifeless body on her bed but the grandson who was over 18 years was missing.

“A report was made at police, scene visited and body pending postmortem to establish the likely cause of her death. It was also established that she has been staying with a grand son who is nowhere to be seen since morning for reasons not known. Inquiries underway,” Mate said.

Bakine’s suspicious death comes on the heels of ongoing investigations in the same district where a woman accused of killing her 70-year-old father who had allegedly assaulted her mother was arrested.

Residents accounted that trouble started when David Rwakisarara, 70, picked a quarrel with wife Queen Christine, 65, for yet to be known reasons. Rwakisarara reportedly injured Queen on the fore head and on the nose.

Queen was rushed to Goodwill clinic in Muhanga by a Boda-boda rider (motorcycle taxi) for medical attention. However, Rwakisarara who had also sustained injuries remained home with daughter Loyce who was joined by other locals and they beat him to death.

“The husband now the deceased remained at home also with minor injuries on the hand and ear. It’s further alleged that the daughter of the deceased only identified as Loyce remained home and was later joined by others who are not yet identified, attacked him and lynched him to death,” Mate said.