Charcoal Stove Kills 3 in Kibuku

Crime scene ribbon. Net pic

Three people in Kibuku are no longer part of those consuming the earthly food after they were suffocated to death by a charcoal stove on Christmas Eve.

Assistant Superintendent of Police, Immaculate Alaso, the Bukedi north regional police spokesperson, Florence Nawire died with two children Oliver Sumaya 10 and Lot Kakai 7.

ASP Alaso said the shocking incident happened at Bwase village, Buluya Parish, Kibuku district. The neighbours upon realising that they had delayed to wake up, felt concerned and attempted to wake them up.

“Their efforts proved futile as there was no response. They were forced to break the door only to find their lifeless bodies inside the house,” ASP Alaso said.

The deceased have been identified as Nawire Florence aged 58 years, and two juveniles Sumaya Oliver aged 10 and Kakai Lot, 7.

Almost every week police is registering deaths related to suffocation. Police have realized that the largest group that suffers from carbon monoxide poisonings are families.

Police say it is important to note that carbon monoxide poisoning is entirely preventable if individuals or groups of persons can protect themselves by learning the symptoms of carbon monoxide and how to prevent it.

“Never use a charcoal stove, charcoal grill, lantern or portable camping stove inside a room, home, tent or camper. Keep vents and flues free of debris. Debris can block ventilation and escape of carbon monoxide,” ASP Alaso said.

Earlier on, Senior Commissioner of Police, Fred Enanga, had warned that gas cooking stove tops and ovens should not be used for supplemental heat.

Police warns the public against running a generator, pressure wisher or any gasoline powered engine, inside a basement, garage or other enclosed structure, even if the doors or windows are open.

“Never leave the car engine running while in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage. If you are to wait in a car, make sure its parked outside,” police cautions.

Families or individuals with heating systems, water heaters, any other gas or burning appliances, have been urged to alway ensure they are serviced regularly by a technician.

If possible, the public has been advised to install carbon monoxide detectors, and check the batteries every six months. Those with boats have been advised to schedule regular engine and exhaust systems maintenance.

“Avoid swimming under the back deck as carbon monoxide builds up near exhaust vents. Although every one is at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, its particularly more dangerous for children, because they breathe faster and inhale more carbon monoxide,” Alaso warns.

Because children breathe faster, it harms the ability of their blood to transport oxygen.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *