Our Female Police Officer, Her Baby Died of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning-Police

The police pathologists have dismissed claims that female police officer Miriam Avaku and her one-year-old baby Rahima Nabirye were served food sedated with poison leading to their death. Avaku and Nabirye were discovered dead inside a two-bedroom house in Nsambya police barracks on Sunday morning.

The duo’s demise sparked speculation that they had been sedated something which has since been erased by the post-mortem. The pathologists’ findings show that Avaku and Nabirye died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Police findings as gathered by the scene of crime police officers and homicide detectives have also revealed that the victims died of carbon monoxide emitted by the charcoal stove which was left burning inside one of the rooms.

Facts that police have gathered show Avaku and Naburye had supper together with other five family members at around 8 pm before they went to bed. However, the maid Stella Angucia, heard the baby suddenly crying and subsequently started convulsing at 10 pm.

As Angucia attempted to establish what was making the baby cry, she lost consciousness. Angucia regained consciousness at 5 am but noticed the baby had already died. Even the mother was not responding. She rushed and informed their neighbour John Adukule who also came and confirmed that the baby and mother had died.

Police Spokesperson, Fred Enanga, has cautioned people against leaving charcoal stoves burning. Leaving car engines running especially in the evening hours or during rain could also lead to death by suffocation.